Collect the moments that make you happy and fold them into a Happy Heart - then hang it somewhere for the sad days when your heart needs reminding of how to get happy again.
Think of ten things that make you happy - the little things, the simple actions that you know will always make you feel better.
It might be a hot cup of tea, the smell of honeysuckle, a kitchen disco, the sound of your children's laughter, the sea, a walk, a particular piece of music that always lifts you up, the taste of chocolate, fresh clean sheets on your skin, a hug, a girly chat, a run, new lip gloss, or something completely different...
I know from experience just how useful it can be when you need a pick me up.
All you need are some strips of paper and a stapler. Follow the simple instructions under 'read more' below... Then click on 'join in' to upload your photo and share it in our gallery.
STOP PRESS! To celebrate our Embrace Happy session at Brit Mums Live this week, Embrace Happy and Story of Mum have a little Happy Competition! Enter to win yourself a 60 minute mini virtual Mamas' Retreat with Pippa or £50 of Docrafts crafting supplies via Karin!
You don't have to have attended Brit Mums Live or the session, just share a photo of your Happy Heart and tell us what makes you happy on twitter or instagram before midnight UK time on Monday 22 June using both hashtags #somum #embracehappy so that we can find your entry. Terms and conditions are under 'read more' below.
This activity was inspired by Reese Dixon's christmas tree ornaments...
You can watch the video at the bottom of this page for a super-easy simple version of the heart, or follow the instructions below for the more fancy one:
Cut ten strips of paper a couple of centimetres wide and about 30 centimetres long (I just cut a few A4 pieces of paper long-ways...).
Pile the strips on top of each other in the order you'd like them to appear in your heart, (with the outside colour on the top and bottom of your pile, and the next colour next to each of those, and so on...)
You can mirror the pattern on each side, mix it up, make it all in one colour, whatever you fancy...
Staple them together at one end.
Fold away the two strips at the top and bottom of the pile, and snip a centimetre or so off the unstapled end of the rest of the strips.
Fold away the two strips that are now at the top and bottom of the pile, and again, snip a centimetre off the strips that remain.
Fold away the next top and bottom strips, and cut another centimetre over those that remain.
Fold away the next top and bottom strips and snip another centimetre from those remaining...
Now you have your strips on which to write your ten happy things - so simply add a happy thing to each strip. And if you want to add more than ten, brilliant - use both the fronts and backs!
If you want to have an extra loop to hang your heart from, cut another centimere-wide 30 cm long strip of paper for that, (or some ribbon or string), and have that ready for the next step.
Fold each of your ten stapled paper strips gently into the middle of the pile loop by loop (or all at once if you're feeling extra confident, that works too...).
Check that the edge of each looped-in strip is pushed in towards the stapled point as far as it will go.
If you'd like to add the extra hanging loop, fold the extra strip of paper in half and push the edges of this into the very middle of the looped pile too.
Last of all, staple it all together once more at the bottom, so that all of the pieces are held in place.
Depending on the thickness of your paper, you might have a bit of a floppy heart after a day or so...
So... if you like your hearts wide but not floppy, you can staple the bottom strip a third time, a little bit higher up.
If you'd like it taller but not floppy, staple it right in the middle.
You could even do both... You can see the extra staple AND the middle staple being applied in this photo on the right.
Take a photo of your heart, and share it with us here by clicking on 'join in' above, and adding your photo.
If you'd like to share some or all of the things that you've written inside your hearts with us, we'd love that too - you can add those in the text box.
Hang your heart somewhere you can be reminded of all the things that give you a happy heart when you need it
Troubleshooting tip: If your heart starts to look a little droopy... just staple it a little further up at the bottom and/or add a staple in the middle of the heart to hold it all together :)
Competition terms and conditions
Terms and conditions:
- The promoters are Story of Mum and Embrace Happy (jointly refered to below as 'the promoter').
- You can enter by tweeting or instagramming a photo of your Happy Heart and tagging it with #somum #embracehappy between 13.30pm UK time on Saturday 20 June, and midnight on Monday 21 June.
- Winners will be chosen at random from all the entries received.
- The competition will run from 13.30 BST on Saturday 20 June 2015 and 24.00 BST on Monday 21 June 2015 in Great Britain.
- After this date, no further entries to the competition will be permitted.
- No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received for whatever reason.
- The promoter is compliant with the data protection act. While we will share the twitter and/or instagram names of winners (and their tweets and photos) with great excitement, we will not pass on any other details to any third party without your prior consent.
- The promoter reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice in the event of a catastrophe, war, civil or military disturbance, act of God or any actual or anticipated breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other event outside of the promoter’s control. Any changes to the competition will be notified to entrants as soon as possible by the promoter.
- The promoter is not responsible for inaccurate prize details supplied to any entrant by any third party connected with this competition.
- No cash alternative to the prizes will be offered. The prizes are not transferable. Prizes are subject to availability and we reserve the right to substitute any prize with another of equivalent value without giving notice.
- There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter this competition.
- The winner will be notified by email within 28 days of the closing date. If the winner cannot be contacted or does not claim the prize within 14 days of notification, we reserve the right to withdraw the prize from the winner and pick a replacement winner.
- The promoter’s decision in respect of all matters to do with the competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- By entering this competition, an entrant is indicating his/her agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.
- The competition and these terms and conditions will be governed by English law and any disputes will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England.
- Entry into the competition will be deemed as acceptance of these terms and conditions.