1) How do I submit something I have created for story of mum?
To take part in story of mum, you need to sign up and login. Sign up here. Click on 'login' in the top menu and add your details. You can choose to give your real name as a 'user name' or remain anonymous. We'll check you've provided a valid email address and you're in...
To join in with any of the tasks or activities on story of mum, simply visit the page relating to the activity you'd like to take part in and click on the 'join in' button on the top right. A form will pop up to show you how to upload a photo or video or text or whatever that story needs - just fill in the blanks.
2) What will happen to my submission?
We will generally show everything that is submitted to story of mum on the website. We're not judging whether your work is good or bad, we're just delighted that you're making time for yourself and joining in. We may have to remove inappropriate submissions.
Whenever someone completes an activity and submits their work, it appears under the 'most recent' activity on the website, helping others to find it. Often, a message is sent to our twitter and facebook pages to tell other mums.
If all goes well, we may show material featured on the website as part of a 'real-life' story of mum exhibition or event, include it in a story of mum book, or share it as part of a visual description of story of mum's work. If so, we will endeavour to contact you by the email address you have provided to let you know, and we will not use submitted material for any purpose other than to further our aims at story of mum - supporting mothers by encouraging mums to connect, create, and celebrate the good and bad of motherhood together.
3) How long do I have to join in with an activity?
As long as you like. You can join in an activity at any time. But our advice to you is to do it as soon as you can. Do it right now in fact. Because as we all know, if you put something off, you may never get around to doing it. Set yourself a goal like "I will complete that activity in the next 24 hours and create the best photo/picture/collage/poem/whatever I've ever done too..."
4) If I have any questions, who do I contact?
Just email us if you have any questions and Pippa or Penny will do our best to get back to you as soon as possible.
5) Can I join in the same activity more than once?
Yes you can join in as many times as you like.
6) Can I join in more than one activity?
Yes you can join in one activity or all of the activities, as many as you like.
7) Do I have to follow the instructions exactly as they are written?
Every submission that follows the instructions will be posted on this site. Work that does not follow the specifications will not be posted. And of course we reserve the right to remove any material that is obscene or inappropriate.
8) What type of images/sound/video files do you accept?
For display on this website:
We accept images formatted as jpegs (.jpeg/.jpg), gifs (.gif), tiffs (.tiff/.tif) and bitmaps (.bmp).
Acceptable sound formats are Mp3s (.mp3), aiffs (.aiff) and wave (.wav) files.
For video, we will use You Tube.
9) What happened to the activity I joined in with?
Sometimes, but very rarely, we may take down entire activities and all the accompanying submissions. This is not your fault. It is just part of our trial and error process.
10) How do I share what I've created with my friends?
On the left hand side of each page, you'll see a SHARE! section with icons to share that page through your own facebook, twitter and other pages. So - just visit the submission you've just made, click on one of those icons and share the link.
11) How do I comment on someone else's submission?
If you like what you see, click on the name of the mum that made it - this will take you to her profile page. You can leave a comment here. She'll receive a message letting her know that you have commented - and can comment back if she wants. You can comment on blog posts, including blog posts.
If you see any comments that are inappropriate, do let us know, and we'll remove them straight away.
Story of mum is a supportive community and we encourage thought-provoking discussion and a variety of mothering perspectives. No personal attacks are permitted in this blog’s comments. You may question or argue the content, but not attack the blogger, nor any other commenters. Failure to respect fellow participants on this blog could result in removal and blocked access.
12) Something technical has gone wrong, what do I do?
Try logging out and into story of mum again, restarting your internet browser, and if that fails, restarting your computer. Failing that, drop us an email to say what went wrong, what browser you're using (i.e Safari, Firefox, Internet Explorer etc.) and we'll investigate the problem and try to sort it out as soon as we can. Thankyou!
13) My question isn't answered here
Then please email us and we'll try to answer your question, and add it here too.
Here's where you can find all the legal stuff about using the website, privacy and security - so please excuse the sudden formality!
If you continue to browse and use this website, you are agreeing to comply with and be bound by the following terms and conditions of use, which govern storyofmum's relationship with you in relation to this website. If you disagree with any part of these terms and conditions, please do not use our website.
The terms 'storyofmum' or 'us' or 'we' refer to the originators of the storyofmum website. The term 'you' refers to the user or viewer of our website.
- You must have the rights to any material that you submit to storyofmum. This means it must be all your own work. See FAQs for more information.
- The content of this website is for your general information and use only. It is subject to change without notice.
- The information on the website is provided by storyofmum and while we endeavor to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.
- Every effort is made to keep the website up and running smoothly. However, storyofmum takes no responsibility for, and will not be liable for, the website being temporarily unavailable due to technical issues beyond our control.
- All trade marks reproduced in this website which are not the property of, or licensed to, the operator are acknowledged on the website.
- Unauthorised use of this website may give rise to a claim for damages and/or be a criminal offence.
- From time to time this website may also include links to other websites. These links are provided for your convenience to provide further information. They do not signify that we endorse the website(s). We have no responsibility for the content of the linked website(s).
storyofmum is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
storyofmum may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from September 7, 2010.
What we collect. We may collect the following information:
- Your name
- Your children’s age/s
- Contact information in the form of an active email address
- Basic location: country and postcode describing where you are
What we do with the information we gather. We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- Internal record keeping.
- To understand what kinds of ‘stories’ are popular with which mums, and customize the website according to user interests.
- We may contact you via the email address you gave at time of registration to inform you of new ‘stories’ or submissions, or to ask your additional permission to use work you have uploaded, if we wish to publish your work somewhere other than on the storyofmum website.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
Links to other websites
Controlling your personal information.
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so.
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please email us as soon as possible. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect
© Story of Mum
Copyright notice: All of the images featured on Story of Mum are subject to copyright. They are not available for re-use or modification by anyone other than the person who made the original submission and the Story of Mum team. This notification was added on 14 October 2014 and refers to all images on the website, not just those submitted after this date.